Jesus Ramos vs Brian Mendoza Tops PBC on FOX card, September 5
Undefeated rising star Jesus “Mono” Ramos Jr. will duel super welterweight contender Brian Mendoza in a 10-round showdown headlined by FOX PBC Fight Night and FOX Deportes on Sunday, September 5 from The Armory in Minneapolis.
FOX PBC Fight Night begins at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT and features rising lightweight contender Starling “El Poli” Castillo battling former title challenger Juan Carlos Burgos in the 10-round costar event, plus middleweight prospect Armando “El Toro” Reséndiz initiates broadcast against the all-action Marcos “Madman” Hernandez in a 10-round fight.
Tickets for the event, promoted by TGB Promotions and Warriors Boxing, are on sale now and can be purchased at The Armory at http://ArmoryMN.com/ and through Ticketmaster.
“Jesus Ramos is poised to advance to the next level of emerging boxing stars and will look to make great strides toward his goal in a tough test against Brian Mendoza,” said Tom Brown, President of TGB Promotions. “Fantastic fight fans at The Armory in Minneapolis will experience a night packed with rising young stars from start to finish, as lightweight Starling Castillo and middleweight Armando Reséndiz step in for tough matches against Juan Carlos Burgos and Marcos Hernández, respectively. Sunday, September 5, will be a must-see action lineup live in primetime on FOX. ”
Ramos (16-0, 14 KOs), the nephew of welterweight contender Abel Ramos, has paved his way to stardom with outstanding KOs. Most recently, he dominated Javier Molina on his way to a 10-round unanimous decision victory in May. Prior to that fight, he had earned five straight knockout victories after the only other professional fight of his that had come to the distance, which came in a June 2019 unanimous decision over Kevin Shacks. He has steadily increased the toughness of the competition in 2020 and has continued that trend in 2021 with Molina and now Mendoza.
“I’ve had a great training ground so far for this fight,” Ramos said. “I feel much stronger, much more mature and I feel like I learned a lot from my last fight that I am implementing in this camp. I expect a tough fight from Mendoza. I am sure he will come to win and to take all that I have won, but I’ll make sure I don’t. You have to tune in on September 5 because it’s going to be a good one! ”
Mendoza (19-1, 13 KOs) earned the best victory of his career in his last outing, defeating veteran contender Thomas LaManna by unanimous decision in August 2020. The 27-year-old has fought professionally since 2014, and his only loss It was by a narrow split decision in November 2019 against Larry Gomez. Mendoza was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he won two New Mexico Gold Gloves Championships as an amateur, and currently fights in Las Vegas.
“I’ve been working out in the gym nonstop preparing for an opportunity like this,” Mendoza said. “I have been learning a lot and I think it is time for the world to see the fighter that I have become. I can’t wait to show my skills. Don’t miss out on this fight on September 5, it will be explosive. ”
Castillo (15-0, 12 KOs), 25, scored a resounding knockout in his US debut in July, beating undefeated Miguel Contreras in the second round. Born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Castillo turned pro in 2017 and has notched up knockout victories in his last four fights heading into September 5, with three of those stoppages coming in 2021.
“I am very honored to fight on a great platform like FOX,” Castillo said. “It’s humbling to perform under the bright lights and I can’t wait. My team and I have been working very hard and we are very focused on Burgos. We will be prepared for whatever he tries to throw at me on fight night. ”
The Tijuana, Mexico native Burgos (34-5-2, 21 KOs) has faced an impressive resume of top fighters throughout his extensive career, leaving world title fights against Mikey Garcia and Hozumi Hasegawa, plus a tie at 130 pounds. tilt of the title against Román Martínez. The 33-year-old finished on the short end of decisions in challenges from undefeated champion Devin Haney in 2018 and undefeated Hector Tanajara in January 2020. Most recently, he lost a decision to undefeated contender Xavier Martinez in May.
“This fight is mine to take,” Burgos said. “Training is going very well and everything is on track for fight night. My only goal is to win and make Mexico proud while showing that I am still the real deal.